Friday, January 20, 2012

Chicken Corn Chowder

I told you earlier in the week that we had friends over for dinner last weekend, and that I'd give you my recipe for Chicken Corn Chowder.  After two days off of blogging to do, well, nothing much of interest.  (Seriously, I had nothing worth noting.  I made another dinner I thought I'd share, but it turns out I didn't like it.  I made a snack I thought I'd share, but it turns out I didn't like it.  Dinner was my own creation, lesson learned.  The snack was from Pinterest, but was the first thing I've made and didn't like.)

So, here's the recipe for my chowder, which is my favorite soup/chowder.  I love winter because I can make it a bunch.  It makes A TON, so invite friends over, freeze some, or be prepared to eat it for lunch and dinner every day for a week.  I have no idea where the recipe came from, because it's handwritten, but must have been just a corn chowder, because the note on the chicken is on the side, not in the list of food. I'll give you the actual recipe, and then note what I've changed.  Feel free to make adjustments or add/remove things.

4-6 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (this should be in the notes section, but I feel like it's a pretty important ingredient to have at the top of the list)
1 med onion, chopped
2 tbls thyme
2 tbls margarine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 can whole corn 
1 can creamed corn
4 c chicken broth
2 c milk
6 red potatoes cubed, skins on
2 carrots, chopped
2 tbls flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbls olive oil

So, here are my changes/notes:  We use yellow onion because the flavor works best.  I don't usually add the thyme, but if I do, I only use 1 tbls.  It's just a taste preference thing.  We use butter instead of margarine.  I like corn, so I use 2 cans.  Really, the more corn in this, the better.  We usually use larger red potatoes and 3 or 4 carrots, and then add 1 cup of water to accommodate the extra veggies.  Because of the extra, I also increase the flour to 1/4 cup. 

Instructions: (based on my changes, take out whatever you may not add or change)
1 - Saute onion and olive oil with the crushed red pepper.  Transfer to cooking pot.
2- Add cream corn, kernel corn, butter, broth and water. Add carrots, potatoes and chicken.  Cook for 15 min.
3- Add milk, slowly stir in flour to thicken.
4 - Simmer 20-30 min.

Wow this is going to be long, because here are some pictures:

The recipe I have.  See, note on the chicken is in the upper right corner.  You should not pay attention to any misspelled words you can find.  Sometimes, spelling is not my thing.  By sometimes, I mean all the time.


When I was making this last weekend, I chopped ahead of time, so that's why my veggies are in water.  It prevents the potatoes from browning. Also, I bought frozen corn since it's cheaper. 

Almost done! Paired it with a salad, yum!

Yum, yum, yum!  The leftovers are always thicker than this, and I think, even better!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment