Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Car Trouble

Last Thursday, my car wouldn't start.  It would turn over, but not start.  My husband jumped it, I went and got a new battery and was told that my battery was the only thing testing with an issue.  The new battery should solve the problem.  I was relieved that it wasn't more serious and went on my way.  

Yesterday, I loaded the dog and Colin into the car to hurry to the vet because Olive broke her dew claw nail. It was bent towards her other paw, instead of forward and was bleeding.  She didn't want to put weight on it, and didn't want me to touch it.  A call to the vet resulted in them asking me to bring her in to see if they needed to take off the nail or not.  The preemptive question was, "Can you get a hold of the nail and pull it off easily or is it more firmly attached?"  I swallowed hard and made myself get a hold of the nail to see if it was firmly attached or not, which it was thank goodness.  I don't think I have the stomach to pull off my dog's nail.  It makes me shudder to even think of it. 

After everyone was loaded, I tried to start the car.  It turned over and wouldn't start.  After a few attempts to start it, and several four letter words shouted in my brain.  I stopped trying, sat in the car for a few moments, sighed, and got everyone out.  The Husband was due to be home in another half an hour, so we waited.  Olive's injury wasn't life threatening, so I knew we had time, plus the vet was open late yesterday so we didn't have to pay for an emergency visit. 

Today, we tried to jump the car to take it to our mechanic but that didn't work.  Instead we called our AAA Roadside Assistance people, who sent a tow truck.  The mechanic was supposed to look at it tomorrow, but must have had extra time.  He called a little while ago to tell us that it started up just fine for him and did we want to come get it?  My brain may have flipped around while I was trying to suppress the "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" scream.  They're keeping the car until tomorrow and will keep trying to start it.  If it doesn't start, then they can diagnose and fix the problem.  If it continues to start, we have to come get it.  My guess is that if it keeps starting, once it's back home and I go to try and drive somewhere, it won't work.  I don't think I should be responsible for any pain or damage I cause if/when that happens. 

Wish me good luck and send me good car karma, friends.  I need this to be 100% fixed, and on the cheap.  Please.

PS - Olive is fine today.  She was a champ at the vet, and is back to her normal self.  See:

Olive is not a big fan of the camera.  It really doesn't do her justice, ever.  She's beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment